Advice about PayPal Standard to be discontinued
Author « Topic »  

ITZAP
Ecommerce Template Guru

Australia
1016 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2023 :  22:10:00  
Hi all,
I read Vince's v7.6.1 updater post mentioning that PayPal Standard is going to be discontinued at some point >>

I still use PayPal Standard on my business website running v7.5.8 stable.
A bunch of my customers also use PayPal Standard, but running various older versions of Ecommerce Templates.
Nobody has encountered any issues whatsoever with that payment gateway. Nor have we received any email advice from PayPal.

So what will happen when PayPal Standard is actually discontinued?
Will all Ecommerce Templates websites be forced to upgrade to the latest version?
Are any of the other Payment Providers a better alternative to PayPal in Australia?

All advice appreciated. Regards,

Gary

Vince
Administrator

42692 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2023 :  04:39:13  
Hi Gary
I think the truth is that PayPal Standard is being used on a lot of websites so it's not like it's going to be discontinued this year, or next for that matter. But what the engineer I talked to was saying that the PayPal Standard code hadn't been touched for some time and wouldn't likely be so either. So rather than actively being turned off it would more likely at some point start to have issues that just wouldn't be addressed.
And on the other side, with PayPal Checkout it's actually even easier now to connect in the ECT Admin than PayPal Standard was. Click on the wizard, log in to your PayPal account and agree to connect and that's it. I think it takes a bit longer for approval if you want the White Label cards option.
Once connected you can turn off everything but PayPal if you like as just a simple, future proof PayPal Standard replacement. Or you can add VENMO, Mobile payment options, local payment options (which may be more interesting for European stores) and cards too if you like. I don't really see this as being "forced to upgrade" but more as just a simple update to PayPal Standard with many extra benefits.
quote:
Are any of the other Payment Providers a better alternative to PayPal in Australia?
PayPal is sometimes a bit like Marmite, (or Vegemite in your case I guess, Gary. ) But I always recommend stores to accept PayPal even if they also use another payment method. Some customers won't use PayPal but others will only use PayPal so it's good to have all bases covered.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

ITZAP
Ecommerce Template Guru

Australia
1016 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2023 :  18:13:22  
Thanks for that information Vince

Gary
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000