Search.asp Stext Parameter search.asp?stext=
Author « Topic »  

joetuesday
Advanced Member

183 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 07/08/2024 :  10:48:54  
Hi - I used to have this configured I thought but I don't now it seems. In the sites configuration, it currently does not pass parameters to the url when using the search bar - it seems like a post method and the url is clean when returning searches - I am curious if it can be something like: website.com/search.asp?stext=your+search+term
This is to track search terms via site search in GA4 as well as improve customer experience. Thanks.

Joe

Vince
Administrator

42685 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2024 :  10:38:09  
Hi Joe
I just did a test on your site search page and I did get the results in the URL. But I guess you mean the search box in the header and you'll find that the <form> there has the method="post" parameter. So just change that to method="get" and it should work as you want.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

joetuesday
Advanced Member

183 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  07:34:20  
Hello - Thank you for your reply

It seems the mini form builds the url differently than the search page via incsearch.asp- for instance when i use the mini form with a get method it posts the url like so:

https://www.WEBSITE.com/search.asp?posted=1&nobox=true&stext=SEARCHTERM(and returns no values)
but the search page builds it like so:
https://www.WEBASITE.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=SEARCHTERM&sprice=&stype=&scat=&sfil0= (and returns values)

To overcome - was able to modify for input types and it sends user the search page and displays results.
Code I used:
<form method="get" action="search.asp" id="search_mini_form">
<input type="hidden" name="pg" value="1">
<input type="text" maxlength="128" class="search_look" value="" name="stext" id="search" autocomplete="off">
<button id="searc-button" class="search_btn" title="Search" type="submit">Search</button>
</form>

It helped give me more insight into how the search function works - thanks.

Joe
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000