Forum Search
Google Site Search
Author « Topic »  

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  07:29:10  
I have a client that uses a simple copy and past into emails to send invoices to clients. With the new tableless layout for invoices, the copy and paste no longer works correctly.

What is the best way to set this up for them so that they can go back to doing this the way they are used to?

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  09:28:28  
Hi

I think the best way to do it would be to print to pdf and then they send on the email with the invoice pdf as an attachment.

Andy

Please feel free to review / rate our software

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  10:30:44  
I already offered them that solution. I don't think they are going to be happy if they have to do it that way. They already feel that creating custom orders takes way too long.

The way they do it now, they build the invoice and just copy and paste it into an email, and send it off. The way you are suggesting, they will need to save (or print to) a PDF, name it, save it somewhere, open the email, click to add an attachment, locate where they just saved the PDF and then send it. More steps...not to mention, I know they are going to say that many of their clients are not going to understand how to open a PDF file. This is going to cause headaches for them.

Is there any one out there who could set up the invoice page in a way that it could be copied and pasted into an email?

Marshall
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1900 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  10:45:18  
After they create the invoice, which I presume is an order, why not just use the Resend Email feature on the Order page?

Marshall
CENLYT Productions - ms designs
Affordable Web Design
Custom Ecommerce Designs
Responsive Websites
Cenlyt.com

Sinbad
ECT Moderator

USA
65937 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  12:13:38  
Hi agree with Marshall, sounds like they are making more work for themselves the way they currently do it. They already have the customer email address if they add that to the order after they save it then go into the order and hit resend check the box for customer and its done.

Winners never quit, quitters never win
CSS and Responsive Designs
User Manual for Ecommerce Templates

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  06:43:30  
They don't like the resend option because it does not give them the option to write notes and additional info within the email. They like the flexibility of being able to write a custom email and then copy and paste the invoice into that same email.

I understand the problem with the table vs css layout; is there a way to edit the css so that the layout would be more streamline - not use so much blank space at the top and make it take up less paper? I have looked back over many questions here on the forum and it seems like a lot of people are not very pleased with the new layout. I understand that there is now the option to write custom css to change the layout - but I thought that one of the benefits of ECT was to NOT have to write custom code to make it work. Is there any custom css already written by anyone that streamlines the look of the invoice? Something that could be shared?

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  07:03:34  
You don't have to write custom code to make things work but rather we've added more flexibility with a new css file so you can customize the look, much like you can on the product and detail pages by adding your own css. There's a post here that contains some css for tightening up the spacing

https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109122

Andy

JustDucky923
Ecommerce Template Guru

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  07:24:59  
That link doesn't really give much information. How about a link that has all of the classes and things? When I said write custom code, I meant custom css. I'm surprised that the new invoice layout isn't - out of the box - something that is more useful, pleasing to look at, and less wasteful with paper for printing. This now means because of an update, I have to take my time and write new css to make the invoice actually work and print correctly?

Andy
ECT Moderator

95440 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  07:49:42  
I don't have a link with all the available classes but you can use the Firefox developer toolbar to get the css used on any page https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36175 and edit the css via the browser.

The feedback we've received on the layout and its flexibility has been pretty good to be fair.

Andy

« Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000