TastelessApple
Advanced Member

USA
499 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/06/2023 :  21:30:52  
Hello,

I'm currently running on PHP version 7.3 and when I made the upgrade I had to stop using PHPMailer because it didn't seem to work with that version. After a year of waiting it doesn't seem to me that PHPMailer has made an update to accommodate the newer PHP version.

The default mailer function is unreliable for me and I need to do something different. Has anyone gotten PHPMailer to work for them on a newer version of PHP.

Am I doing something wrong or do you know of a workaround I could implement? I really must get something working here as I have waited too long already.

Thanks in advance,
Josiah

midvalleydrifter001
Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
931 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2023 :  22:17:09  
Hi Josiah,

I'm running PHP 8.1.13 and using the latest PHP Mailer SMTP Version 6.6.2

Everything works fine on both my websites with these versions.

I'm sure Vince can figured out what is not working.

Patrick

TastelessApple
Advanced Member

USA
499 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/07/2023 :  07:05:03  
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the reply, that is encouraging!

I download version 6.7.1 and installed it and this is the error I get:
2023-01-07 14:57:52 SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server: (0)
SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
Failed to send mail: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/TroubleshootingSMTP server error: Failed to connect to server

Is there anything I need to adjust from the raw download? I took the PHPMailer-master folder and put it inside ECT's inc folder and took all the files that were inside the src folder and moved them directly under the inc folder.

How can a get this right?

Thanks,
Josiah

Steved
Ecommerce Template Guru

United Kingdom
1022 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/07/2023 :  07:26:26  
Hi Josiah,

Like Patrick I’m using PHP v8.1.13 on my server and the latest ECT updater 7.5.5.

Maybe I have misunderstood your question but phpmailer is integrated into the updater nowadays so no need to do anything other than update ECT and then head to the main settings in admin and in email settings select phpmailer and add your details.

Also, is your server really using PHP v7.3? If so, that needs updating as I believe it is no longer supported.

Steve

TastelessApple
Advanced Member

USA
499 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/07/2023 :  07:58:38  
Hi Steve,

Yes, I likely making this too complicated, but not intentionally.

So I did an update of the PHPMailer files from an ECT updater and I get almost the same error:
2023-01-07 15:51:05 SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server: (0)
SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
Failed to send mail: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

I'm not able to do a complete ECT update without potentially 100+ hours of modifications...

Any ideas here?

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10385 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2023 :  12:39:39  
ECT version 7.3 is a bit long in the tooth and you should consider updating your site and I expect that would fix your PHP Mailer issues.
100 hours of mods seems like quite a bit, but perhaps your making the process more difficult than it should be.
Do you use a file compare software?
If not, you should as you can compare files from an entire folder and merge changes - If you always comment your mods in the code, it should be easy to spot your mods and merge them into the new code.
I use WinMerge (free) but there are others out there too.

Thanks,
David

midvalleydrifter001
Ecommerce Template Expert

USA
931 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2023 :  13:11:42  
I just updated my PHP to 8.2.0 and everything is working fine.

ECT Version 7.5.5

Like David suggested... I use a comparison program called Beyond Compare.

https://scootersoftware.com/

It makes updates so much easier.

Patrick

ITZAP
Ecommerce Template Guru

Australia
1016 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2023 :  17:32:07  
Goodaye Josiah, the PHP Mailer error message says "Failed to connect to server".

So I suggest the first thing to do is double-check the details you have entered in Ecommerce Templates STORE ADMIN > Main Settings > Email Settings

You can check those details by logging in to cPanel, click Email Accounts, then to the right of the email address you are using click the "Manage" button.
Then in the right side menu, under the heading CONFIGURE, click "Connect Devices".

Now under "Mail Client Manual Settings" and the box titled "Secure SSL/TLS Settings (Recommended)" note your "Outgoing Server" settings.

I suggest it will say something like ...
quote:
SMTP Host: mail.brazosgraphics.com
SMTP Port: 465
SMTP Secure: SSL

That is exactly what you must enter into ECT Main Settings > Email Settings, under Email SMTP Service: Use PHP Mailer

And now, provided you have the SMTP Username: email address and SMTP Password entered correct, PHP Mailer should send SSL secured messages just fine.

If you do not have access to cPanel, then ask your web host to confirm these SMTP mail server settings for you.

Gary

TastelessApple
Advanced Member

USA
499 Posts

Pre-sales questions only
(More Details...)

Posted - 01/09/2023 :  12:07:06  
Gary, Patrick and David

Thank y'all very much for your suggestions, I really appreciate your help! Gary that was great advice! So simple, but it seems like I had the wrong port for the SSL server.

David and Patrick, thank you for the update and software pointers. I use VisualDiffer but I will look into the ones you mentioned.

All is working now!
Josiah
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000