product page SEO urls
Author « Topic »  

Dermontti
Advanced Member

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2024 :  04:56:31  
Hello,

We have many products with dashes "-", but that is also what Google wants and is also programming best practice so how and where can I change the backend ASP code so that we can use a "-" for both product names and the url space character?

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/crawling-indexing/url-structure

The static url also seems to work fine with dashes. Do I just need to create a static URL for every single product manually in order to be able to both use "-" and a description after the product name in the URL?

Edited by - Dermontti on 06/17/2024 05:17:20

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10379 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2024 :  07:53:55  
Hi, I think this is what you are looking for - No need to hack into the code on this.

quote:
Product name in dynamic product detail page URL

To use the product name for dynamic product detail page links instead of the product id. To do this add the parameter...
usepnamefordetaillinks=TRUE
When using this parameter you can set an optional replacement character for spaces. For instance if you set...
detlinkspacechar="-"
Then the product name "My Test Product" would result in "My-Test-Product"
When using this system, all product names must be unique or it will be impossible to view some of your products. Also, when using the optional space replacement character, you cannot then use that character in product names as again it will make it impossible to find those products in the database.

David

Edited by - dbdave on 06/17/2024 08:44:08

Dermontti
Advanced Member

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2024 :  09:52:23  
Hello Dave,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I think I answered my own question because we will want all urls like:
/product-description
for now and in the future and having the data in the database will take a while to enter, but once done will be nice to have.

Thus, I think we have to go all of the way for static urls for every product to achieve this which seems to not be bothered by the "-".

Thanks again :)

Edited by - Dermontti on 06/18/2024 09:53:29
  « Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000