Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View our YouTube channel
Search our site
Author « Topic »  

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2024 :  16:21:23  
Couple suggestions for the cart, as vastly customizable as this cart is i run into a few small bothersome functions.

1 - On checking out, if i am offering both USPS - Residential GroundAdvantage and USPS - Commercial GroundAdvantage, no matter what ship to address the customer enters it allows them to select whichever option they want. This option pretty much couples in issue2 with the USPS GIS verification service and should therein disallow any shipment options not compatible with the address entered. (We set to only offer residential so we are covered on the higher side of the cost but have business customers that are starting to look elsewhere because increased displayed shipping prices.) Have the same issue with both UPS and Fedex displayed rates

2 - There is no built-in GIS address validation - this system is pretty much a standard in todays ecommerce world and most carts incorporate this in its base software. (I am aware there are alternate companies that offer a service such as smarty, but those charges rack up fast for a large scale website)

3 - Out of stock verse display but not sell online - we have products that are not shippable and available for instore pickup only - The problem is if say i set the product to not sell the message show is out of stock or use notify back in stock. While i am sometimes out of stock on normal items and WANT the customer to be notified when back in stock. My instore available only items are common big ticket sales and lets facer it people only see what is in front of them and since it says out of stock they move on to someone that has it in stock. (I realize i can setup instore/willpickup and couple that with email order but this is an option is flawed as a customer can select shipping but choose email order. The system just simply does not correctly process these things.

Hopefully this is not taken as a rant. Some carts we have used over the 40 years ive been doing excell at these things and some dont. I made the mistake of leaving ECT once before and have no intention of moving on again, but as versatile as it is. Adding these as improvements or includes options would put one more notch in your belt.

Thanks

Edited by - freewaytrailer on 06/27/2024 16:35:10

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7657 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2024 :  00:05:36  
All good points but.....
quote:
3 - Out of stock verse display but not sell online

You could create a custom css rule and apply it to those products so the out of stock button doesn't display

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10358 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2024 :  07:52:31  
I can confirm that UPS does consider commercial addresses and shows a lower rate accordingly.

Thanks,
David

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2024 :  08:45:21  
Phil, While that is an option the system is not set to allow for either of these 3 options Backorder, Out of Stock AND Notify Back in Stock to function independently of each other. It becomes global choice and the global choice just does not suit todays needs.

David, I will confirm that the rates shown reflect correctly for commercial and residential, but that was not my point. The issue is when a customer enters a residential shipping address the system should NOT display commercial rates and vice verse, If a customer enters a commercial shipping address the system should NOT show residential rates. This is an industry ecommerce cart system standard. and id bank on it the reason is due to not being tied into any GIS data.

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7657 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2024 :  09:11:16  
quote:
the system is not set to allow for either of these 3 options Backorder, Out of Stock AND Notify Back in Stock to function independently of each other.

Maybe I've misunderstood your requirements, but as I stated in my previous post, you can set a custom css rule and apply it to individual products so the out of stock, buy button, or any other element you wish to hide can be removed on a per product basis.

Would that not suit your requirements?

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

dbdave
ECT Moderator

USA
10358 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2024 :  09:24:11  
quote:
David, I will confirm that the rates shown reflect correctly for commercial and residential, but that was not my point. The issue is when a customer enters a residential shipping address the system should NOT display commercial rates and vice verse, If a customer enters a commercial shipping address the system should NOT show residential rates. This is an industry ecommerce cart system standard. and id bank on it the reason is due to not being tied into any GIS data.

Hi, I expect with postal, the full address may not be sent through the API request, just the zip code.
It may be possible that the folks with ect can see if there is an update to the API to pass the full address, if that's not the case currently, so your suggestion is valid.

However, when it comes to address validation,
Good address validation is not free and free address validation is not good.

Currently on the customer facing side, we use Smarty, and we are able to leverage a few features to keep those costs in check. They are the best at autocomplete and verify to the suite/unit level, where virtually no others do, at least not any free services.
On the back end, we use the free UPS address validation API and Melissa Data, which has the most comprehensive address validation, at a very low cost, but they do not have a good autocomplete service.
Mostly we use these tools to avoid address correction fees from UPS, but with Melissa Data, we get some value with fraud detection.

Thanks,
David

Edited by - dbdave on 06/28/2024 09:26:52

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2024 :  12:25:03  
want to touch back on this post regarding address verification. maybe this could be looked into as it seems USPS offers this premade code.

https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/welcome.htm#developers

When using chrome find on page
Verify an Address

Quoted from this page part
Save time and money by reducing shipping errors due to incorrect address entry. This tool corrects errors in street addresses, including abbreviations and missing information. It also supplies a ZIP+4® Code.

« Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000