Author « Topic »  

gordon hedley
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2024 :  03:48:49  
Hi

Have a problem with our site.
The categories are displaying as they should and then when you click on them they display the products in that categories but when you click on the product the page doesn't work .
Is this and software problem or will it be a web host setting problem, the host company looked to have change the web config file.
Hope this of some help.
The program work all ok on my localhost computer.
Have no idea how to fix this.
The site will also not update on the server as comes back with :- An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.
If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.

www.hedley-towbars.co.uk
Thanks
Gordon Hedley

thank

gordon Hedley

1818charlie
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2024 :  06:19:28  
Have you spoken to the host, Active 24? If so, what have they said? That is where I would start.

The issue also is showing for me once the proddetail page is requested.

I'm sure Vince will be along to advise

Phil
ECT Moderator

United Kingdom
7657 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2024 :  07:48:45  
Hi Gordon,
What you need to do is edit your config file and add detailed error reporting so you'll see a more detailed description of why that particular page is not being served by the server.

What I would do is take a backup of the existing web config file first then add the following to it

<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
</system.webServer>
</configuration>

Then post back with the error message you see

*Contact Us*
*Buy The PHP Capture Card Plugin*
*Rate Our Services/View Our Feedback*

Edited by - Phil on 07/06/2024 07:50:00

Vince
Administrator

42632 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2024 :  11:50:46  
We exchanged emails and it seems this problem is to do with the directory that the database is in not having write permissions. I believe that Gordon has been in touch with his host.

Vince

Click Here for Shopping Cart Software
Click Here to sign up for our newsletter
Click Here for the latest updater

gordon hedley
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2024 :  05:22:03  
Hi

Have been in contact with the host and they are going to look into it on Monday. Will keep you informed when here more from them.

Thanks
Gordon Hedley

gordon Hedley

Vince
Administrator

42632 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2024 :  10:40:18  

gordon hedley
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2024 :  12:54:28  
Hi Vince

The host has changed some thing on the site but haven't said what they have done as our site is running better now and detailing the products.
One thing i was onto them a couple of months again was. if I have a category with no products in it doesn't display the message no product's currently available in this category but it does work on my localhost

Thanks for all you help with the serve setting

Gordon Hedley

gordon Hedley

Vince
Administrator

42632 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  01:17:27  
Hi Gordon
I'm glad it's working now and it sounds like they just set the correct permissions on the database folder.
If you want help with the missing message there, could you let me know a link to an empty category?

Vince

gordon hedley
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  07:38:08  
Hi Vince

Its all the links from our electrics or the vehicle. all the category's don't have any products in them but would like them to display that.

https://www.hedley-towbars.co.uk/categories.asp?cat=Audi+Towbar+Wiring+Kits

Thanks
Gordon Hedley

gordon Hedley

Vince
Administrator

42632 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2024 :  08:54:39  
Hi Gordon
If the category is empty then the shopping cart is throwing a 404 error so that the search engines know that nothing is available. But it seems your host has a custom 404 page which is what you see. Can you ask them to turn the custom 404 page off?

Vince

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2024 :  11:03:58  
Jumping in, Vince i tried turning off custom error reporting all togteher on my host and it still goes to a 404 not found but now its just a generic browser page 404. In Gordons example i have tried on my local host with and without extenless urls. Without them set everything works as it should, however with them set it kicks the error.

if i remove the webconfig url rewrite code on my webhost everything works fine. does there need to be something added to the webconfig url rewrite writeup supplied at https://www.ecommercetemplates.com/seo/search-engine-friendly-urls-asp.asp

Edited by - freewaytrailer on 07/11/2024 11:13:15

Vince
Administrator

42632 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2024 :  01:57:08  
Hi freewaytrailer
Have you tried taking out just the detail page match from the web.config to see if that is what is causing the issue?

Vince

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2024 :  14:25:27  
I will test it more tonight when im back in

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2024 :  16:23:44  
i went and set a complete from scratch test using the original downloaded cart template that was purchased, on localhost the empty cat shows a normal cart error page when viewing an empty cat ....No products are currently available in this category.

when i load it to our server, i set all error reporting off and cleared out the web.config file to just show default documents and made sure absolutely no seo options for cat names, prod names or detail names, extensionless ect.. it still gives me a browser generic 404 page.

correct me if im wrong, the system should show the ECT "no products are currently available in this category".. localhost or live correct?

Unfortunately, it appears there is still some webserver setting that is getting by them and they are going to have to check it or he will need to disable the cat while adding products to them which is usual practice..
I did email him directly and pointed out some of the left nav links that are hard coded are pointing to the wrong name. hopefully between that and his host maybe fixing their error linking it can be resolved.

Maybe he can get you the login details for his account and you find something i cant see, other than that this should have worked with an out of the box install. Im reaching tout to servelink to see what may be triggering that effect on my account but other than that i dont know

Edited by - freewaytrailer on 07/12/2024 16:25:19

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2024 :  19:33:52  
update - simply adding the following line in the web.config file fixed the issue - please keep in mind i have all seo friendly and features turned off. I strongly advise making a backup copy of your web.config file before modifying

<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />

i will try to get more details after adding those features in stages. but if gordon is not using the seo friendly features this is a temp fix

Edited by - freewaytrailer on 07/12/2024 19:35:10

freewaytrailer
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2024 :  19:43:08  
update 2 - by adding the line <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
just before the closing </system.webServer> in the web.config works with and without seo features on or off in their entirity. It this solves the problem of displaying empty cats that contain cats and empty cats that contain prods.

Again make sure you backup your web.config file before editing.

custom error reporting still needs to be turned off

let me know if you want any additional help

Edited by - freewaytrailer on 07/12/2024 19:54:23

Vince
Administrator

42632 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2024 :  04:00:23  
Wow, thanks for all the effort there to help with Gordon's problem. It's much appreciated!!

Vince

« Topic »  
Jump To:
Shopping Cart Software Forum for Ecommerce Templates © 2002-2022 ecommercetemplates.com
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000